Monday, August 1, 2016

Meet-The-Parents Session

If you guys have read the "The Couple" tab, you would know that my man and I have been together for a pretty long time. We met in 2007 and we've been dating since 2009, which would make this our 7th year together. Growing up, I was never able to commit to anything or anyone. I was the kind of annoying girl who dates but bails when the other party develops real feelings or is serious about commitment. I've only been in barely 2 relationships prior to this, each not lasting even half a year.

So that evening, as he was walking into my house with his parents to meet mine - can you imagine how surreal that moment was for me? From not sticking to something for more than 6 months to choosing to hold on to what we have for 7 years. This is it - this is you committing, this is you settling down, this is you finding your happiness.

Well, it finally happened on the last Sunday of Eid. And I am so glad that it went well. His parents were lovely to my parents - warm, appreciative and polite. And Alhamdulillah, they have formalised the asking of my hand and my parents have accepted. They have also agreed to all the other terms of our wedding like the dates, hantaran, separate events and no exchange of gifts or formal engagement ceremony. And it was such a smooth conversation without hiccups, negotiations or misunderstandings! I am so relieved, thankful and happy.

InsyaAllah, with our parents blessings and support, the mahligai we are striving to build will be on strong foundations.

Love,
Z

No comments:

Post a Comment